SafeAssign is a tool used to promote originality and to create opportunities to help students identify how to properly attribute sources rather than paraphrase. SafeAssign is effective as both a deterrent and an educational tool.
SafeAssign is based on a unique text-matching algorithm capable of detecting exact and inexact matching between a submitted paper and source material. This proprietary algorithm analyzes submission text and optimizes the words and terms to be searched against multiple data sources. Results returned from each service are further processed based on both the weight returned by the search service and comparative weighting by the SafeAssign algorithm, which determines the result set to be returned in the Originality Report.
Student submissions to SafeAssign are compared against several sources:
- Institutional document archives:
- Contains all papers submitted to SafeAssign by users in their respective institutions.
- Global Reference Database: Contains over 15 million papers volunteered by students from Blackboard client institutions to help prevent cross-institutional plagiarism.
- ProQuest Journal Database: More than 3,000 publication titles, 4.5 million documents, and over 200 topical categories from the 1970s to present time and covering topics from Advertising to Women's Studies.
- Internet: SafeAssign searches across the broader internet for matching text using an internal search service.
- SafeAssign compares submitted assignments against a set of sources to identify areas of overlap between the submitted assignment and existing works.
How to Use SafeAssign
Read frequently asked questions about SafeAssign - CLICK HERE
SafeAssign Originality Report - CLICK HERE
How to Use SafeAssign in Assignments
How do Instructors use SafeAssign - CLICK HERE
How do Students use SafeAssign - CLICK HERE
Students Checking Safeassign