We are pleased to announce the Summer 2022 Undergraduate Research Program (SURP). This program provides a unique opportunity for qualified undergraduate students to conduct research at either of SUNY Polytechnic Institute’s Albany or Utica campuses. This opportunity will provide innovative hands-on experience to work closely with our world-class faculty.
The program will last 10 weeks from Tuesday, May 31 to Friday, August 5, 2022.
Students will conduct research 40-hrs/week and be paid a stipend of $13.20/hr, for a total of $5,280 for a full-time effort for 10 weeks (pretax).
View a list of SURP project descriptions (pdf). Faculty e-mail addresses are included in the project description list. Applications must include a student's 1st-3rd choice projects. We highly recommend that students reach out to faculty regarding their projects to find the best fit between student applicants and projects.
At the conclusion of the SURP, all students will present their research to SUNY Poly’s faculty, students, staff and representatives of its industrial partners at two poster sessions: one in Utica (Thursday, August 4) and another in Albany (Friday, August 5).
There are four options for student participation in research through the Utica or Albany campus:
- Track 1: SURP-Funded Research. Students are paid to do research at minimum wage ($13.20/hr) for 40-hrs/week through SUNY Poly funds. These positions are limited and are expected to be highly competitive.
- Track 2: Faculty-Grant funded SURP. Students are paid to do research at minimum wage ($13.20/hr) for 40-hrs/week through existing faculty grants. These positions are dependent upon existing research projects.
- Track 3: Volunteer positions. Students can volunteer to assist on a research project for the full 10 weeks and participate in the poster sessions held at the end of SURP.
- Track 4: Research for Credit. Students can conduct summer research for credit with the faculty mentor listed as the instructor. The credits may be used toward a degree at the discretion of the academic program. Students would enroll in a SUNY Poly summer session with the Registrar and pay per credit.
Application Deadline: The student application window is now closed
The duration of the SURP is 10 weeks beginning on Tuesday, May 31 to Friday, August 5, 2022. Students must commit to the entire 10 week duration; absences will be excused for illness and family emergency only.
Travel and Lodging. Expenses related to travel, lodging and meals are the responsibility of each student. Some positions are remote. On-campus housing options are uncertain at this time. Further information will be sent to awardees with offer letters.
Student Applications will require:
- Unofficial Transcript
- Listing of top three research positions
- Statement of Interest (> 100 words)
- Names of two References, their phone numbers and e-mail addresses
|View a list of SURP project descriptions (pdf)|
Questions concerning the application process may be directed to Elaine Garrett, at email@example.com In addition to your question, please provide your name, phone number, and e-mail address where you can be reached.