We are pleased to announce the Summer 2021 Undergraduate Research Program (SURP). This program provides a unique opportunity for qualified undergraduate students to conduct research at either of SUNY Polytechnic Institute’s Albany or Utica campuses. This opportunity will provide innovative hands-on experience to work closely with our world-class faculty.
The program will last 10 weeks from Tuesday, June 1 to Friday, August 6, 2021.
Students will conduct research 40-hrs/week and be paid a stipend of $500 per week (pretax), for a total of $5,000 for a full-time effort for 10 weeks.
View a list of SURP project descriptions. Faculty e-mail addresses are be included in the project description list. Applications must include a student's 1st-3rd choice projects. We highly recommend that students reach out to faculty regarding their projects to find the best fit between student applicants and projects.
At the conclusion of the SURP, all students will present their research to SUNY Poly’s faculty, students, staff and representatives of its industrial partners at two poster sessions: one in Utica (Thursday, August 5) and another in Albany (Friday, August 6).
There are four options for student participation in research through the Utica or Albany campus:
- Track 1: SURP-Funded Research. Students are paid to do research at minimum wage ($12.50/hr) for 40-hrs/week through SUNY Poly funds. These positions are limited and are expected to be highly competitive.
- Track 2: Faculty-Grant funded SURP. Students are paid to do research at minimum wage ($12.50/hr) for 40-hrs/week through existing faculty grants. These positions are dependent upon existing research projects.
- Track 3: Volunteer positions. Students can volunteer to assist on a research project for the full 10 weeks and participate in the poster sessions held at the end of SURP.
- Track 4: Research for Credit. Students can conduct summer research for credit with the faculty mentor listed as the instructor. The credits may be used toward a degree at the discretion of the academic program. Students would enroll in a SUNY Poly summer session with the Registrar and pay per credit.
Who should apply?
Interested undergraduate students with an anticipated graduation date of December 2021 or later, are encouraged to apply to this highly competitive SURP program. Previous research experience is desirable, but not required.
Application A (SUNY Poly students): Any SUNY Poly student in good academic standing is welcome to apply. Prior research experience is not required for consideration.
Application B (non-SUNY Poly students): Any non-SUNY Poly undergraduate students may apply. Previous research experience is desirable, but not required.
The deadline for submitting applications to the 2021 SURP program is Monday, April 19, 2021.
The duration of the SURP is 10 weeks beginning on Tuesday, June 1 to Friday, August 6, 2021. Students must commit to the entire 10 week duration; absences will be excused for illness and family emergency only.
Travel and Lodging. Expenses related to travel, lodging and meals are the responsibility of each student. Some positions are remote. On-campus housing is expected to be available at Utica’s Residence Halls (estimated costs $150-170 per week, depending on unit). Information about Albany site housing options will be forthcoming. Further information regarding housing will be sent to awardees with offer letters.
Student Applications will require:
- Unofficial Transcript
- Listing of top three research positions
- Statement of Interest (> 100 words)
- Names of two References, their phone numbers and e-mail addresses
|Application A (SUNY Poly Students)||Application B (External Students)|
|View a list of SURP project descriptions|
Questions concerning the application process may be directed to Elaine Garrett, at firstname.lastname@example.org In addition to your question, please provide your name, phone number, and e-mail address where you can be reached.