The GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test) is required of all applicants to the MBA and MS Accountancy programs. The specific score required of an individual applicant is based on their undergraduate cumulative GPA.
The Department of Business Management follows the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) recommended admission guidelines: A total of 1,000 points based on 200 x undergraduate GPA + GMAT score. The minimum required score for admissions consideration is a 400 on the verbal and quantitative sections of the exam. The scores range from 200 to 800.
For more information about the GMAT, and to sign up to take it, visit www.mba.com. SUNY Polytechnic Institute school codes for GMAT score reporting: K6R-D6-24 MS Accountancy | K6R-D6-26 MBA Note: Other standardized exams such as the GRE, LSAT and MCAT can be substituted for the GMAT.
GMAT Waiver Options
A waiver of the GMAT exam may be requested in the following circumstances:
- The applicant previously earned a master's degree in another field OR
- The applicant has passed all four sections of the CPA (Certified Public Accountants) examination OR
- The applicant is a licensed CMA (Certified Management Accountant) OR
- The applicant has an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher and has completed graduate business or accounting coursework at SUNY Poly as a non-degree student, and has earned a grade of B+ or higher in each course. (The non-degree coursework can be completed during the summer, fall or spring term.)
- The applicant has a GPA of 3.0 or higher with a major in business or accounting from an AACSB accredited business program in the U.S., or with a major in health information management or health informatics program from a CAHIIM accredited program in the U.S. within the last 7 years OR
- The applicant has an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher in any major from any accredited university or college, within the last 7 years OR
- The applicant has relevant professional experience of 5 years or more, will be reviewed on a case by case basis
GMAT Fee Waivers
Each year, the Graduate Admissions Office receives a dozen GMAT fee waivers to distribute to test takers. Each fee waiver is valued at $250. The fee waivers are distributed by request on a first-come basis to students who meet the following criteria:
- Must be currently matriculated in an undergraduate program at SUNY Poly with a cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher.
- Must have a FAFSA on file with the Financial Aid Office and must meet PELL eligibility requirements.
- Must have submitted an Application for Graduate Admission to the SUNY Poly Graduate Admissions Office.
Requests from students who do not meet the above guidelines will be considered on an individual basis. To request a fee waiver, e-mail email@example.com with the subject "Requesting GMAT Fee Waiver" after you have submitted your application for admission.