Admission to SUNY Polytechnic Institute is competitive and based on an extensive review of academic qualifications, English proficiency, recommendations, and proof of financial support. Foreign transcripts and documents must be professionally evaluated and translated in English. Applicants must use a service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. We require a course-by-course evaluation with GPA calculated. Please note that you are not required to submit an English proficiency exam score if you have earned an associate’s degree from an accredited U.S. university or college.
College of Arts + Sciences, College of Business, College of Engineering, College of Health Sciences
Generally, transfer applicants to the Utica campus should possess a minimum GPA of 2.5 with an associate’s degree earned, or a minimum GPA of 2.75 without a degree. All transfer applicants are reviewed on an individual basis.
College of Nanoscale Science + Engineering (CNSE)
Generally, transfer applicants to the Albany campus should possess a minimum GPA of 2.75 with an associate’s degree earned, or a minimum GPA of 3.0 without a degree. All transfer applicants are reviewed on an individual basis.
In addition, transfer applicants must have completed the following college courses with superior performance to be admitted as a transfer student to CNSE: Calculus, Calculus-based Physics, Chemistry.
Transfer applicants to SUNY Poly must demonstrate English language proficiency by achieving the minimum score noted below from one of the following standardized exams:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Internet based score of 79
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Overall band score of 6.0
- PTE Academic (PTE): Overall score of 53
- Duolingo English Test (DET): Total score of 105
- iTEP: Overall score of 4.4
You are exempt from the English Proficiency requirement if:
- English is your native language: Australia, the Bahamas, Belize, the British Isles, England, New Zealand, English-speaking Canadian provinces, the Fiji Islands, Jamaica, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Ghana, Gambia, Liberia, the Virgin Islands, the West Indies, Trinidad, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Nigeria, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Switzerland, Holland, France, Germany, Sweden, and Norway
- You graduated from an accredited U.S. high school
- You have an associate’s degree from an accredited U.S. university or college