FAQs for Non-Degree Students

Non-degree students' applications will be automatically submitted to the appropriate office based on their reason for taking the course. To inquire about the status of your application, please contact the Registrar's Office 315-792-7265 or nondegree@sunypoly.edu or Graduate Admissions 315-792-7347 or graduate@sunypoly.edu.

Once your application has been reviewed and approved, you will be contacted regarding next steps for course registration. Please note: Selfregistration, using our online platform, is NOT available to non-degree students.

Once your registration is complete, you will receive a confirmation email with your University ID # that will be required to activate your campus accounts. The email will guide you on some basic steps, including a link to the required online orientation program.

Once your registration has been processed, you are required to complete our online orientation program, “Essentials for Non-Degree Students.” It will introduce you to key services and policies for non-degree students. 

SUNY Poly does NOT mail paper billing statements. You can access your bill in Banner, our student record system.  You will receive a message via your SUNY Poly email account when your bill is ready for viewing.  You will lose your course registration if your bill is not paid by the due date.

The Academic Calendar has the semester dates with deadlines, fees, and refund schedule.

You may take up to 16 credit hours of undergraduate coursework as a non-degree student. In order to exceed that limit, you must be accepted into a degree program. Generally, a maximum of six (6) credit hours is allowed for non-degree graduate study. In some instances students may choose to continue taking coursework above the six hour total if permitted, but may not take more than twelve credit hours before matriculating. The maximum number of non-matriculated (non-degree) credits permitted varies from program to program. We will not place a credit limit on candidates seeking to complete the prerequisite courses for the MS Accountancy program.

Coursework taken while in non-degree status may be applicable to the degree program upon formal admission; however, there is no guarantee of credit applicability or admission by completing coursework in non-degree status.

Please note that non-degree students are ineligible from receiving federal and state financial aid (TAP, Pell, Federal Direct Student Loan, etc.) for courses taken at SUNY Polytechnic Institute. However, a student may apply for a private student loan through a lender of his/her choice. Please contact the Financial Aid Office at finaid@sunypoly.edu or 315-792-7210 for additional information.

If you decide to take a course with SUNY Poly, there is a one-time fee of $25 that will appear on your bill the first time you take a non-degree course.

You can find information relating to costs on our tuition + fees webpage.

Online and hybrid courses open via Brightspace, on the day classes begin.

Individual student class schedules and grades are NOT mailed. Students must log in to Banner to access them.

Upon completion of your non-degree coursework, you may request an official transcript from the Registrar by submitting a Transcript Request form.

Due to the compressed schedule of summer term; all students, whether matriculated or not, are limited to no more than two classes.

Failure to attend a class does not drop the class from your schedule! To withdraw from a class and avoid incurring the charges, you must notify the Registrar’s Office at registrar@sunypoly.edu or 315-792-7262.


Request More Information

Detailed information, brochures and forms can be mailed to you upon request.


Let's Start The Process     

Complete and submit your application to SUNY Polytechnic Institute.