Veterans Benefits - Transfer Students

Students who had been receiving veteran's benefits at another college must complete a Change Program/Place of Training form (VA form 22-1995 for Veterans, Servicepersons, & Members of the Selected Reserve or VA form 22-5495 for Survivors' & Dependents' Education Assistance) to receive benefits at SUNY Polytechnic Institute. These forms can be completed online by using VONAPP A copy of this form needs to be sent to the VA Certifying official at SUNY Poly.


Certification of Enrollment
For all chapter benefits (with the exception of Chapter 31) our certifying official must notify the DVA of your enrollment each semester. It is your responsibility to contact our office at which time you are fully registered for a term. Your enrollment will be certified with the DVA shortly thereafter. Each month that you qualify for benefits, you must contact the DVA for enrollment certification. This should be done on the last day of each month, online at WAVE - (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs) Follow the WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) link to complete electronic certification or via phone at 1-877-823-2378. If your enrollment certification has been submitted and you would like to check on the status of your payment, you can call the NYS regional office at 1-888-442-4551.


What to send SUNY Poly's VA Certifying Official

  1. Copy of member 4 DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty)
  2. Copy of Change of Program/Place of Training form
  3. Copy of Certificate of Eligibility
  4. Copy of Veterans Fact Sheet (refer to VA Forms and Resources)

Please note that Veterans Education Benefits at this time are considered a resource in the Financial Aid package and adjustments to other aid will be made as required by law. To find out what education benefits you qualify for and an application for VA benefits, please visit: The Registrar's Office at SUNY Poly certifies Veterans Benefits. All paperwork must be submitted to the Registrar's Office, 2nd Floor - Kunsela Hall, SUNY Poly, 100 Seymour Road, Utica, NY 13502 or by FAX (315) 792-7802.


Scholarships and Awards for Veterans
For further information about scholarships and awards for veterans and to apply please visit the Military Corner. Questions may be addressed to 1-888-697-4372 or e-mail at


Chapter 30 (Veterans GI Bill®)
Educational assistance program available to fully honorably discharged veterans who meet the eligibility criteria explained in detail on the Department of Veterans Affairs website Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (MGIB-AD)


Chapter 33 (New Post 9/11 GI Bill®)
This educational assistance program is effective August 1, 2009 and is available to fully honorably discharged veterans who meet the eligibility criteria explained in detail on the Department of Veterans Affairs website. The site includes an eligibility chart to estimate your coverage A brochure explaining the Post 9/11 GI Bill® is also available at:


Chapter 1606 (Reserves/National Guard)
This program may be available if you are a member of a selected reserve. More eligibility information on Chapter 1606 is provided on the Department of Veterans Affairs website


Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
More eligibility information on Chapter 1607 is provided on the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) website


Chapter 35 (Survivor's and Dependents Educational Assistance program; DEA)
The spouse, child, stepchild or adopted child of a veteran who is deceased (service-connected) or who is 100% disabled (service-connected) may qualify for Chapter 35 benefits. Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website:


Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)
Any veteran receiving at least 10% permanent, service-connected disability from the DVA can apply for this benefit. Approval is made on a case-by-case basis and is managed at the state level. To learn more about or apply for Chapter 31 benefits in NYS, call 1-800-827-1000.


IMPORTANT: IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO NOTIFY THE VA CERTIFYING OFFICIAL WHEN WITHDRAWING OR ADDING A COURSE THAT CHANGES YOUR STATUS (Ex: 12 dropping down to 9 credits goes below full time). You can stop at the Registrar's Office to make changes to your schedule and should inform the VA Certifying Official at that time. Also if you plan on attending SUMMER courses, you need to contact the VA Certifying Official as well.


Request More Information

Detailed information, brochures and forms can be mailed to you upon request.


Let's Start The Process     

Complete and submit your application to SUNY Polytechnic Institute.