Watch Professor Carpenter's "Inside CNSE" video interview on applying surface topography analysis to the development of sensors used in emissions monitoring
- Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, University of Rochester, NY (1996)
- M.S., Physical Chemistry, University of Rochester, NY (1993)
- B.S., Chemistry, State University of New York at Geneseo (1991)
Areas of research
- Chemical sensors
- All-optical sensor design
- Quantum dots
- Raman microanalysis
Honors and Awards
- Invited lecturer for Nanotechnology/Nanosciences, University of Tsukuba, Japan, Summer 2013
- SUNY Research Foundation Promising Inventor Award - 2004
- Arnold Weissberger Fellowship, 1994-1995
- Sherman Clark Fellowship, 1993-1996
Classes Recently Taught
NSCI 320 Advanced physical/chemical concepts for nanoscale science, NNSE 603 Nanomaterials processing, NNSE 504 Chemical principles of nanotechnology, NNSE 507 Practical quantum mechanics
- R. A. Potyrailo, J. Brewer, B. Cheng, M. A. Carpenter, N. Houlihan, A. Kolmakov, “Bio-Inspired Gas Sensing: Boosting Performance with Sensor Optimization Guided by “Machine Learning”, Faraday Discussions, https://doi.org/10.1039/D0FD00035C (2020)
- M. Houlihan, M. A. Carpenter, “Morpho-Butterfly Inspired Lamella-based Optical Sensors for Measuring Percent Level Concentrations of H2 and CO with Au and CeO2, MRS Advances, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1557/adv.2020.318 (2020)V. A. V. Rossi, M. A. Carpenter, “Non-invasive optical pressure sensing using a scalable reflective polydimethylsiloxane membrane”, Sensors and Transducers, 239, 34-40 (2019).
- V. A. V. Rossi, M. A. Carpenter, “Reusable polystyrene wafer coating as an antiadhesive layer for PDMS film production”, Materials Letters, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2019.127045 (2019).
- R. A. Potyrailo, J. Brewer, B. Scherer, V. Srivastava, M. Nayeri, C. Henderson, C. Collazo-Davila, M. A. Carpenter, N. Houlihan, V. Vulcano Rossi, A. Shapiro, “Multi-Gas Sensors for Enhanced Reliability of SOFC Operation”, ECS Transactions, 91, 319-28 (2019).
- L. Banu, R. A. Potyrailo, M. A. Carpenter, “Kinetics analysis of multichannel hydrogen reactions on plasmonic based Au-GdC thin film nanocomposites”, J. Phys. Chem. C, 123, 17925-32 (2019).
- N. Houlihan, N. Karker, R. A. Potyrailo, M. A. Carpenter, “High sensitivity plasmonic sensing of hydrogen over a broad dynamic range using catalytic Au-CeO2 thin film nanocomposites”, ACS Sensors, 3, 2684-92 (2018).
- Karker, G. Dharmalingam, M. A. Carpenter, “Survey of Optical Gas Sensors for Harsh Environments”, in Advances in Sensors: Reviews Volume 6, Chemical Sensors and Biosensors, Ed. S. Y. Yurish, International Frequency Sensor Association Publishing, (2018).
- R. A. Potyrailo, N. Karker, M. A. Carpenter, A. Minnick, “Multivariable bio-inspired photonic sensors for non-condensable gases: initial results, Journal Of Optics, Special Issue on Biomimetic Photonics, 20, 024006(2018).
- G. Dharmalingam, M. A. Carpenter, “Chemical Sensing Dependence on Metal Oxide Chemistry and Thickness for High Temperature Plasmonics Based Sensors”, Sensors Actuators B., 251, 1104 - 11 (2017).
- N. Karker, M. A. Carpenter, “High Figure of Merit Hydrogen Sensor Using Multipolar Plasmon Resonance Modes”, Sensors Actuators B, 252, 385-90 (2017).
- J. Elwood, Z. Zhao, L. M. Saupe, T. D. Strayer, R. N. Odell, M. A. Carpenter, “Gold Nanoparticles Embedded in Soda-lime Glass Substrate for Temperature Sensing”, Sensing and Biosensing Research, 11, 37- 44 (2016).
- Z. Zhao, V. A. Vulcano Rossi, J. P. Baltrus, P. R. Ohodnicki, M. A. Carpenter “Ag Nanoparticles supported on Yttria-stabilized Zicronica: A Synergistic System within Redox Environments”, J. Phys. Chem. C, 120, 5020-32 (2016).
- Z. Zhao, J. Elwood, M. A. Carpenter, “Phonon Anharmonicity of PdO Studied by Raman Spectrometry”, J. Phys. Chem. C, 119, 23094 (2015).
- N. Karker, G. Dharmalingam, M. A. Carpenter, “Thermal Energy Near-infrared radiation and accessing low temperatures with plasmonic sensors”, Nanoscale, 7, 17798 (2015).
- Z. Zhao, J. Elwood, M. A. Carpenter, “Phonon Anharmonicity in PdO for Temperature Dependent Raman Scattering”, Physical Review B, Under Review, (2014)
- N. Karker, G. Dharmalingam, M. A. Carpenter, “Thermal Energy Harvesting Plasmonic Based Chemical Sensors”, ACS Nano, 8, 10953-62 (2014).
- J. P. Baltrus, P. R. Ohodnicki, N. A. Joy, M. A. Carpenter, “Examination of Charge Transfer in Au/YSZ for High-Temperature Optical Gas Sensing”, Applied Surface Science, 313, 19-25 (2014).
- N. A. Joy, B. K. Janiszewski, S. Novak, T. W. Johnson. S-H Oh, A. Raghunathan, J. Hartley, M. A. Carpenter, “Thermal Stability of Gold Nanorods for High Temperature Plasmonic Sensing”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 117, 11718-24 (2013)
- Z. Zhao, M. A. Carpenter, “Support Free Bimodal Distribution of Plasmonically Active Ag/AgOx Nanoparticle Catalysts: Attributes and Plasmon Enhanced Surface Chemistry”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 117, 11124-32 (2013)
- Z. Zhao, M. A. Carpenter, M. A. Petrukhina, “Semiconductor Quantum Dots for Photoluminescence-based Sensing”, Semiconductor Gas Sensors, Eds. R. Jaaniso and O. K. Tan, Woodhead Publishing, UK, (2013)
- N. A. Joy, M. A. Carpenter, “Optical Sensing Methods for Metal Oxide Nanocomposites”, Metal Oxide Nanomaterials for Chemical Sensors, Eds. M. A. Carpenter, S. Mathur, A. Kolmakov, Springer, NY, NY (2013)
- Metal Oxide Nanomaterials for Chemical Sensors, Eds. M.A. Carpenter, S. Mathur, A. Kolmakov, Springer (2013)
- G. Dharmalingam, N. A. Joy, B. Grisafe, M. A. Carpenter, “Plasmonic Based Detection of H2 and CO: Discrimination Between Reducing Gases Facilitated by Material Control”, Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology, 3, 712-21 (2012).
- N. A. Joy, P. H. Rogers, M. I. Nandasiri, S. Thevuthasan, M. A. Carpenter “Plasmonic Based Sensing Using an Array of Au-Metal Oxide Thin Films”, Analytical Chemistry, 84, 10437-44 (2012).
- N. A. Joy, M. I. Nandasiri, P. H. Rogers, W. Jiang, T. Varga, S. V. N. T. Kuchibhatla, S. Thevuthasan, M. A. Carpenter, “Selective Plasmonic Gas Sensing: H2, NO2 and CO Spectral Discrimination by a Single Au-CeO2 Nanocomposite Film”, Analytical Chemistry, 84, 5025-34 (2012).
Carpenter, Michael A.; Sirinakis, George
Optical methods and systems for detecting a constituent in a gas containing oxygen in harsh environments
Zhouying Zhao, Michael A. Carpenter
Methods for Forming Palladium Alloy Thin Films and Optical Hydrogen Sensors Employing Palladium Alloy Thin Films
Serial Number: 11/049,833, Filed: February 3, 2005