Description of research
Nathaniel Cady, holds a PhD in microbiology from Cornell University and specializes in research at the interface of nanotechnology and biology. Dr. Cady’s research uses inspiration from natural, biological systems to guide the design, formulation, and/or fabrication of unique systems and technologies. Some of the core areas of research in our laboratory are biofouling, bacterial biofilms, and the development of technologies to detect and/or treat bacterial infections. Dr. Cady’s work also focuses on the development of microchip-based sensors and nanoscale electronic devices called “memristors” that mimic the function of neuronal synapses.
- Post Doctoral Associate, Microbiology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 2006
- Ph.D., Microbiology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 2005
- B.A., Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1999
Areas of research
- Molecular biology
- Detection systems
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- S.M. Curley, N.C. Cady. Biologically derived nanomaterials for targeted delivery to the brain. Accepted in Science Progress – in press.
- E. Chou, Y-P. Lin, N.C. Cady. Recent strategies for the diagnosis of early Lyme disease. Accepted in Science Progress – in press.
- E. Chou, G. Zenteno, B. Taubner, A. Pilar, E. Guignon, W. Page, Y-P. Lin, N.C. Cady. Grating coupled-surface plasmon resonance and fluorescent plasmonics biosensor for diagnosis of Lyme disease. Proceedings of the SPIE. March 2018, Miami, FL.
- V. Sukhotskiy, N.C. Cady, E. Chou, I.V.A.K. Reddy, E.P. Furlani. Numerical modeling of a sinusoidal grating-based surface plasmon coupled emission biosensor. Nanotech 2018. Anaheim, CA.
- S.M. Curley, J. Castracane, M. Bergkvist, N.C. Cady. Functionalization and characterization of an MRI-capable, targeted nanoparticle platform for delivery to the brain. (2018) MRS Advances. Published online, April 2018 - https://doi.org/10.1557/adv.2018.357
- P. Paomephan, A. Assavanig, S. Chaturongakul, N.C. Cady, M. Bergkvist, N. Niamsiri. Insight into the antibacterial property of chitosan nanoparticles against Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium and their application as vegetable wash disinfectant. (2018). Food Control. 86: 294-301.
- K. Beckmann, J. Holt, W. Olin-Ammentorp, Z. Alamgir, J. Van Nostrand, N.C. Cady. The effect of reactive ion etch (RIE) process conditions on ReRAM device performance. (2017) Semiconductor Science and Technology. 32: 095013
- Z. Alamgir, J. Holt, K. Beckmann, N.C. Cady. The effect of different oxygen exchange layers in TaOx based RRAM devices. (2017) Semiconductor Science & Technology. 33: 015014
- S. Nallanthighal, C. Chan, A.P. Mosier, N.C. Cady, R. Reliene. Differential effects of silver nanoparticles on DNA damage and DNA repair gene modulation in Ogg1 deficient and wildtype mice. (2017) Nanotoxicology. 11(8): 996-1011. doi: 10.1080/17435390.2017.1388863
- M. Uddin, M.B. Majumder, K. Beckmann, H. Manem, Z. Alamgir, N.C. Cady, G.S. Rose. Design considerations for memristive crossbar physical unclonable functions. (2017) ACM Journal on Emerging Technologies in Computing Systems. 14(1), 2.
- Z. Alamgir, K. Beckmann, J. Holt, N.C. Cady. Pulse width and height modulation for multi-level resistance in bi-layer TaOx based RRAM. Applied Physics Letters. (2017) 111: 063111 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4993058
- V. Desai, M. Mellish, S. Bennett, N.C. Cady. Process development for high resolution Hydrogen Silsesquioxane (HSQ) patterning using commercial scanner for Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography (EUVL). (2017) Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology, B. 35: 021603. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1116/1.4975797
- J.S. Holt*, K. Beckmann*, Z. Alamgir, J. Yang-Scharlotta, N.C. Cady. Effect of displacement damage on tantalum oxide resistive memory. (2017) MRS Advances. 1-7. DOI:10.1557/adv.2017.422
- C.M. Hanes, A.E. D’Amico, T. Ueyama, X. Zhang, W.F. Hynes*, M.M. Barroso, N.C. Cady, M. Trebak, N. Saito, M.R. Lennartz. Golgi-associated PKC-e is delivered to phagocytic cups: Role of PI4P. (2017) 35(2): 021603. Journal of Immunology.
- J.S. Plank, G.S. Rose, M. E. Dean, C.D. Schuman, N.C. Cady. A Unified Hardware/Software Co-Design Framework for Neuromorphic Computing Devices and Applications. ICRC: IEEE International Conference on Rebooting Computing. November 2017, Washington, DC.
- S. Amer, S. Sayyaparaju, K. Beckmann, N.C. Cady, G.S. Rose. A Practical Hafnium-Oxide Memristor Model Suitable for Circuit Design and Simulation. ISCAS: International Symposium on Circuits and Systems. May 2017, Baltimore, MD.
- S. Amer, G.S. Rose, K. Beckmann, N.C. Cady. Design Techniques for in-Field Memristor Forming Circuits. 60th IEEE International Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems. August 2017, Boston, MA.
- M.K. Dion, J.F. Drazan, S. Giddings, N.C. Cady, R. Dahle, J.T. Roberts, E.H. Ledet. Smart Orthopaedic Implants: Application in Total Knee Arthroplasty. (2016) American Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 9(4):1232-38.
- K. Beckmann, H. Manem, N.C. Cady. Performance enhancement of a time-delay PUF design by utilizing integrated nanoscale ReRAM devices. IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing – Special issue “Security of Beyond CMOS Devices: Issues and Opportunities. Accepted June 2016, in press. DOI: 10.1109/TETC.2016.2575448
- K. Beckmann, J. Holt, W. Olin-Ammentorp, J. Van Nostrand, N.C. Cady. Impact of etch process on hafnium dioxide based nanoscale RRAM devices. (2016) ECS Transactions. 75(13): 93-99.
- S.H. Kasper, R. Hart, M. Bergkvist, R.A. Musah, N.C. Cady. Zein nanocapsules as a tool for surface passivation, drug delivery, and biofilm prevention. (2016) AIMS Microbiology. 2(4): 422-433.
- V. Desai, J.G. Hartley, N.C. Cady. Electron beam lithography patterned hydrogen silsesquioxane resist as a mandrel for self-aligned double patterning application. (2016) Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology, B. 34(6): 061601.
- K. Beckmann, J. Holt, H. Manem, J. Van Nostrand, N.C. Cady. Nanoscale hafnium oxide RRAM devices exhibit pulse dependent behavior and multi-level resistance capability. (2016) MRS Advances. 1(49): 3355-3360. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1557/adv.2016.377
- S.H. Kasper, R.P. Bonocora, J.T. Wade, R.A. Musah, N.C. Cady. Chemical inhibition of kynureninase reduces Pseudomonas aeruginosa quorum sensing and virulence factor expression. (2016) ACS Chemical Biology. 11(4): 1106-1117.
- M. Craven, S. Kasper, M. Canfield, R. Diaz-Morales, J. Hrabie, Joseph; N. Cady, A. Strickland. Nitric Oxide-Releasing Polyacrylonitrile Disperses Biofilms Formed by Wound-Relevant Pathogenic Bacteria. (2016) Journal of Applied Microbiology. 120(4): 1085-99.
- A. Mendoza, D.M. Torrisi, S. Sell, N.C. Cady, D.A. Lawrence. Grating coupled SPR microarray analysis of proteins and cells in blood from mice with breast cancer. (2016) Analyst. 141: 704-712.
- M. Uddin, M.B. Majumder, G.S. Rose, K. Beckmann, H. Manem, Z. Alamgir, N.C. Cady. Techniques for Improved Reliability in Memristive Crossbar PUF Circuits. 2016 IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI (ISVLSI), Pittsburgh, PA, pp. 212-217. doi: 10.1109/ISVLSI.2016.33
- G. Chakma, M.E. Dean, G.S. Rose, K. Beckman, H. Manem, N. Cady, A Hafnium-Oxide Memristive Dynamic Adaptive Neural Network Array. International Workshop on Post-Moore's Era Supercomputing (PMES), Salt Lake City, UT, November 2016.
- J.F. Drazan, O.T. Abdoun, M.T. Wassick, G. Marcus, R. Dahle, L.A. Beardslee, N.C. Cady, E.H. Ledet. Reducing the Effect of Parasitic Capacitance on Implantable Passive Resonant Sensors. 2016 Annual Meeting of IEEE/EMBC. Orlando, FL, August, 2016.
- J.F. Drazan, M.T. Wassick, R. Dahle, L.A. Beardslee, N.C. Cady, E.H. Ledet. A Simple Sensing Mechanism for Wireless, Passive Pressure Sensors. 2016 Annual Meeting of IEEE/EMBC. Orlando, FL, August, 2016.
- Z. Alamgir, K. Beckmann, N.C. Cady, A. Velasquez, S.K. Jha. Flow-based computing on nanoscale crossbars: design and implementation of full adders. International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS) Conference, May 2016, Montreal, Canada.
- N.C. Cady, K. Beckmann, H. Manem, M.E. Dean, G.S. Rose, J.E. Van Nostrand. Towards Memristive Dynamic Adaptive Neural Network Arrays. GOMACTEC Conference, March 2016, Orlando, FL.
- J.D. Drazan, M.T. Wassick, M.K. Dion, O.T. Abdoun, L.A. Beardslee, N.C. Cady, R. Dahle, E.H. Ledet. Evaluation of a Passive Resonator-Based Force Sensor for Orthopaedic Smart Implants: Simulated In Vivo Testing. 61st Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, Orlando, FL. March, 2016.
- A.P. Mosier, J. Behnke, E.T. Jin, N.C. Cady. Microbial biofilms for the removal of Cu2+ from CMP wastewater. (2015) Journal of Environmental Management. 160: 67-72.
- K. Beckmann, J.S. Holt, N.C. Cady, J. Van Nostrand. (2015) Comparison of random telegraph noise, endurance and reliability in amorphous and crystalline hafnia-based ReRAM. IEEE International Integrated Reliability Workshop (IIRW) South Lake Tahoe, CA. p.107-110. DOI: 10.1109/IIRW.2015.7437079.
- J.S. Holt, N.C. Cady, J. Yang-Scharlotta. (2015) Radiation testing of tantalum oxide-based resistive memory. IEEE International Integrated Reliability Workshop (IIRW) South Lake Tahoe, CA. p. 155-158. DOI: 10.1109/IIRW.2015.7437091.
- Manem, H., Beckmann, K., Xu, M., Carroll, R., Geer, R., Cady, N.C. An extendable multi-purpose 3D neuromorphic fabric using nanoscale memristors. (2015) IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence for Security and Defense Applications (CISDA), May 2015, Verona, NY. DOI: 10.1109/CISDA.2015.7208625
- D.M. Kingsley, N.C. Cady, D.T. Corr. Customizable multi-well plates for high-throughput 2D and 3D laser direct-write. 41st Annual Northeast Biomedical Engineering Conference (NEBEC), April 17-19, 2015. DOI: 10.1109/NEBEC.2015.7117102.
- M.K. Dion, C.P. Healey, S.L. Giddings, J.F. Drazan, J. Roberts, N.C. Cady, E.H. Ledet. Force measurement across the patellofemoral joint using a smart patellar implant following a total knee arthroplasty. 2015 41st Annual Northeast Biomedical Engineering Conference (NEBEC), Troy, NY. DOI: 10.1109/NEBEC.2015.711708
- A.C. Wong, X. Zhang, W.F. Hynes, M.M. Barroso, C.M. Hanes, N.C. Cady, M. Trebak, M.R. Lennartz. Dual role of PKC-epsilon in vesicle delivery and membrane fusion during IgG-mediated phagocytosis. Submitted to the Journal of Cell Biology, November 19, 2014.
- A.P. Mosier, J. Behnke, E.T. Jin, N.C. Cady. Microbial biofilms for the removal of Cu2+ from CMP wastewater. Submitted to the Journal of Environmental Management, October 1, 2014.
- J.F. Drazan, A. Gunko, M. Dion, O. Abdoun, N.C. Cady, K.A. Connor, E.H. Ledet. Archimedean spiral pairs with no electrical connections as a passive wireless implantable sensor. Submitted to the Journal of Biomedical Technology Research, July 2014.
- S. Kasper, D. Samarian, A. Jadhav, A. Rickard, R. Musah, N.C. Cady. S-Aryl-L-Cysteine Sulfoxides and Related Organosulfur Compounds Alter Oral Biofilm Development and AI-2 Based Cell-Cell Communication. (2014) Journal of Applied Microbiology. 117(5): 1472-86.
- B.D. Briggs, S.M. Bishop, K.D. Leedy, N.C. Cady. Characterization of hafnium oxide resistive memory layers deposited on copper by atomic layer deposition. (2014) Thin Solid Films. 562: 519-524.
- S.B. Peters, N. Naim, D.A. Nelson, A. Mosier, N.C. Cady, M. Larsen. Biocompatible Tissue Scaffold Compliance Promotes Salivary Gland Morphogenesis and Differentiation. (2014) Tissue Engineering, Part A. 20(11-12): 1632-42.
- A.P. Mosier, S. Peters, M. Larsen, and N.C. Cady. Microfluidic platform for the characterization of mouse submandibular glands by atomic force microscopy. (2014) Biosensors. 4(1): 18-27.
- W.F. Hynes, N.J. Doty, T.I. Zarembinski, M.P. Schwartz, M.W. Toepke, W.L. Murphy, S.K. Atzet, R. Clark, J.A. Melendez, N.C. Cady. Micropatterning of 3D microenvironments for living biosensor applications. (2014) Biosensors. 4(1): 28-44.
- M.V. Graham, N.C. Cady. Nano and microscale topographies for the prevention of bacterial surface fouling. (2014) Coatings. 4(1): 37-59.
- K. Beckmann, J.S. Holt, J.O. Capulong, Z. Alamgir, S. Lombardo, J.E. Van Nostrand, N.C. Cady. Endurance and reliability of hybrid CMOS/ReRAM for data storage and encryption applications. GOMACTEC Conference, March 2014, St. Louis, MO.
- K. Beckmann, J. Holt, J.O. Capulong, S. Lombardo, J.E. Van Nostrand, N.C. Cady. Reliability of fully-integrated nanoscale ReRAM/CMOS combinations as a function of on-wafer current control. (2014) IEEE International Integrated Reliability Workshop.
- J.S. Holt, A. Mendoza, D. Lawrence, N.C. Cady. Integrated sorting and detection of circulating tumor cells in blood using microfluidic cell sorting and surface plasmon resonance. (2014) Proceedings of the Materials Research Society, San Francisco, CA. 1686, mrss14-1686-v09-02.
- J.O. Capulong, B.D. Briggs, N.C. Cady. Impact of argon-ambient annealing in hafnium oxide Resistive Random Access Memory. (2014) Proceedings of the Device Research Conference, 2014 72nd Annual. p. 113-114.
- J.F. Drazan, A. Gunko, M.K. Dion, O. Abdoun, K.A. Connor, N.C. Cady, E.H. Ledet. Coupled Archimedean Spirals as Passive Wireless Force Sensors Exhibit Linear Frequency Shifts With Strain. The Annual Meeting of IEEE/EMBS, Chicago, IL 2014.
- M.V. Graham, A.P. Mosier, T.R. Kiehl, A.E. Kaloyeros, N.C. Cady. Development of antifouling surfaces to reduce bacterial attachment. (2013) Soft Matter. 9: 6235-6244.
- S.M. Bishop, B.D. Briggs, P.Z. Rice, J.O. Capulong, H. Bakhru, N.C. Cady. Ion implantation synthesis and conduction of tantalum oxide resistive memory layers. (2013) Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B. 31(1): 012203.
- N.M. Fahrenkopf, P.Z. Rice, M. Bergkvist, N.A. Deskins, N.C. Cady. Immobilization mechanisms of deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) to hafnium dioxide (HfO2) surfaces for biosensing applications. (2012) ACS Applied Materials Interfaces. 4(10): 5360–5368.
- P.Z. Rice, B.D. Briggs, S.M. Bishop, N.C. Cady. Development of a silicon oxide based resistive memory device using a spin-on hydrogen silsesquioxane precursor. (2012) Journal of Materials Research. 27: 3110-3116.
- J.F. Ling, M.V. Graham, N.C. Cady. Topographically patterned poly(dimethylsiloxane) surfaces affect Pseudomonas aeruginosa adhesion and biofilm formation. (2012) NanoLife 2(4): 1242004.
- A.P. Mosier, A.E. Kaloyeros, N.C. Cady. A novel microfluidic device for the in situ optical and mechanical analysis of bacterial biofilms. (2012) Journal of Microbiological Methods. 91: 198-204.
- S.M. Bishop, H. Bakhru, J.O. Capulong, N.C. Cady. Influence of the SET current on the resistive switching properties of tantalum oxide created by oxygen implantation. (2012) Applied Physics Letters. 100, 142111.
- N.R. McDonald, S.M. Bishop, B.D. Briggs, J.E. Van Nostrand, N.C. Cady. Influence of the plasma oxidation power on the switching properties of Al/CuxO/Cu memristive devices. (2012) Solid-State Electronics. 78: 46-50.
- N.C. Cady, J. Behnke, R. Kubec, K. McKean, and R.A. Musah. Inhibition of Biofilm Formation, Quorum Sensing and Infection in Pseudomonas aeruginosa by Natural Products-Inspired Organosulfur Compounds. (2012) PLoS One. 7(6): e38492.
- S.J. Sequeira, D. Soscia, B. Oztan, A. Mosier, R. Jean-Gilles, A. Gadre, N. Cady, B. Yener, J. Castracane, M. Larsen. The regulation of focal adhesion complex formation and salivary gland epithelial cell organization by nanofibrous PLGA scaffolds. (2012) Biomaterials. 33: 3175-3186.
- A.P. Mosier, N.C.Cady. Analysis of bacterial surface interactions using microfluidic systems. (2011) Science Progress. 94(4): 431-450.
- S.M. Bishop, H. Bakhru, S.W. Novak, B.D. Briggs, R.J. Matyi, and N.C. Cady. Ion Implantation Synthesized Copper Oxide-based Resistive Memory Devices. (2011) Applied Physics Letters. 99, 202102.
- N.C. Cady, J.L. Behnke, A.D. Strickland. Copper-based nanostructured coatings on natural cellulose: Nanocomposites exhibiting rapid and efficient inhibition of a multi-drug resistant wound pathogen, A. baumannii, and mammalian cell biocompatibility in vitro.(2011) Advanced Functional Materials. 21(13): 2506-2514.
- N.C. Cady, S. J. Stelick, and C. A. Batt. PCR-based detection of Bacillus anthracis using an integrated microfluidic platform. (2011) International Journal of Biomedical Nanoscience & Nanotechnology. 211(2): 152-166.
- N.M. Fahrenkopf, F. Shahedipour-Sandvik, N. Tokranova, M. Bergkvist, N.C. Cady. Direct attachment of DNA to semiconductor materials for biosensor applications. (2010) Journal of Biotechnology. 150(3): 312-314.
- J.E. Van Nostrand, R. Cortez, Z.P. Rice, N.C. Cady, and M. Bergkvist. Morphology, Microstructure and Transport Properties of ZnO Decorated SiO2 Nanoparticles. (2010) Nanotechnology. 21 415602.
- D.A. Soscia, N.A. Raof, Y. Xie, N.C. Cady, A.P. Gadre. Antibiotic-loaded PLGA nanofibers for wound healing applications. (2010) Advanced Engineering Materials: Special Issue “Advanced Biomaterials”. 12(4): B83-B88.
- C. Lui, S.J. Stelick, N.C. Cady and C.A. Batt. Low-Power Microfluidic Electro-hydraulic Pump (EHP). (2010) Lab on a Chip. 10: 74-79.
2009 and earlier
C. Lui, N.C. Cady and C.A. Batt. Review: Nucleic Acid-based Detection of Bacterial Pathogens Using Integrated Microfluidic Platform Systems. (2009)Sensors. 9(5), 3713-3744.
X. Xu, V. Jindal, F. Shahedipour-Sandvik, M. Bergkvist, N.C. Cady. Direct immobilization and hybridization of DNA on group-III nitride semiconductors. (2009) Applied Surface Science. 255: 5905-5909.
N. Niamsiri, M. Bergkvist, S. Delamarre, N. Cady, S. Stelick, G. Coates, C. Ober, C.A. Batt. Insight in the role of bovine serum albumin for promoting the in situ surface growth of polyhydroxybutyrate (PHB) on patterned surfaces via enzymatic surface-initiated polymerization. (2007) Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 60(1): 68-79.
Y. Liu, N. Cady, C.A. Batt. A plastic microchip for nucleic acid purification. (2007) Biomedical Microdevices. 9(5): 769-76.
N. Cady, A.D. Strickland, C.A. Batt. Optimized linkage and quenching strategies for quantum dot molecular beacons. (2007)Molecular & Cellular Probes. 21(2): 116-124.
J.A. Doddsworth, N. Cady, J.A. Leigh. 2-oxoglutarate and the PII homologues NifI1 and NifI2 regulate nitrogenase activity in cell extracts of Methanococcus maripaludis. (2005) Molecular Microbiology. 56(6): 1527-1538.
N. Cady, S. Stelick, M.V. Kunnavakkam C.A. Batt. Real-time PCR detection of Listeria monocytogenes using an integrated microfluidics platform. (2005)Sensors & Actuators B. 107(1): 332-341.
Z. Zhu, J.T. Mabeck, C. Zhu, N.C. Cady, C.A. Batt, G.G. Malliaras. (2004) A simple poly(3,4- ethylene dioxythiophene)/poly(styrene sulfonic acid) transistor for glucose sensing at neutral pH. Chemical Communications. 13: 1556-1557.
Breezee, J., N. Cady, and J. T. Staley. (2004) Subfreezing growth of the sea ice bacterium, “Psychromonas ingrahamii.” Microbial Ecology. 47: 300-304.
N. Cady, S. Stelick, C.A. Batt. (2003) Nucleic acid purification using microfabricated silicon structures. Biosensors & Bioelectronics. 19: 59-66.
P.M. St. John, R. Davis, N. Cady, J. Czajka, C.A. Batt, H.G. Craighead. (1998) Diffraction-based Cell Detection Using a Microcontact Printed Antibody Grating. Analytical Chemistry. 70(6): 1108-1111.
- “Hardware based random number generator.” US Patent 8,680,906 B1, March 25, 2014.
- “Polymeric Micro-Cantilevers for Ultra-Low Volume Fluid and Living Cell Deposition.” US Patent 8,539,905 B2, September 24, 2013.
- “Ion Bombardment Synthesis of Transition Metal Oxide-Based Memory Devices.” US Patent Application, Filed August 23, 2011: US Serial No. 61/526537.
- “Real-time detection of microorganisms using an integrated microfluidics platform.” U.S. Patent Application Filed July 22, 2005: US 2008/0125330 A1
- “Diffraction-based cell detection using a micro-contact-printed antibody grating.” U.S. Patent Application Filed January 27, 2000: US 2002/0037593 A1
- N. Cady, “Build me a Memory.” In: Creating Life from Life: Biotechnology and Science Fiction. Rosalyn Berne, Ed. 2015. CRC Press.
- N. Cady, T.J. Begley, M. Bergkvist, S.T. Sharfstein, A.E. Kaloyeros. Nanobiological Sensor Technologies - revised. In: Dekker Encyclopedia of Nanoscience & Nanotechnology. 2013. CRC Press.
- N.C. Cady and A.D. Strickland. Responsible Nanotechnology: Controlling Exposure and Environmental Release via Rational Design. In: Nanobiotechnology Handbook. Yubing Xie, Ed. 2012. CRC Press.
- N. Fahrenkopf, P.Z. Rice, N.C. Cady. Nucleic acid based biosensing. In: Nanobiomaterial Handbook. Balaji Sitharaman, Ed., 2011. CRC Press.
- M. Bergkvist, N.C. Cady. Chemical functionalization and bioconjugation strategies for AFM cantilevers. In: Bioconjugation Protocols, 2nd Edition. Sonny Mark, Ed., 2011. Springer.
- N. Cady. Microchip-based PCR Amplification Systems. In: Lab on a Chip Technologies and Applications. Avraham Rasooly and Keith Herold, Eds., 2009. Horizon Scientific Press.
- N. Cady. Quantum Dot Molecular Beacons for DNA Detection. In: Methods in Molecular Biology. James W. Lee, Ed., 2009. Humana Press.
- N. Cady, A. Gadre, A.E. Kaloyeros. Nanobiological Sensor Technologies. In: Dekker Encyclopedia of Nanoscience & Nanotechnology. 2008. CRC Press.
- N. Cady. DNA-Based Biosensors. Encyclopedia of Sensors. 2006. American Scientific Publishers.
Honors and Awards
SUNY Research Foundation Rising Star Award
W.M. Keck Fellowship in Nanotechnology
- Phi Beta Kappa
Editorial / Peer-Review Activities
Reviewer for multiple journals, including Analytical Chemistry, Biosensors & Bioelectronics, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Analytica Chimica Acta, and Sensors and Actuators.
Grant Reviewer for the "NIH Development and Application of Nanotechnology-Based Tools to Understand Mechanisms of Bioremediation" program.
Member of the Materials Research Society, American Society for Microbiology
Editor for the Journal of Nano Education
Guest Editor for the International Journal of Biomedical Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
Advisory Board Member for Albany High School Academy of Engineering
Scientific Advisor for the NY City Mayor’s Office Criminal Justice Coordinator
Scientific reviewer for multiple journals, including Analytical Chemistry, Biosensors & Bioelectronics, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Biomedical Microdevices, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Biomicrofluidics and Analytica Chimica Acta.
Scientific reviewer for NSF SBIR, STTR and “Nano” programs
Scientific reviewer for NIEHS (NIH) UO1 and SBIR programs
Scientific reviewer for Singapore National Medical Research Council
Scientific reviewer for the State of Louisiana Board of Regents Grants Program
Scientific reviewer for NSF “Environmental Impacts of Nanotechnolgy” program
Scientific reviewer for DOE Early Career Research Program
Scientific reviewer for Canadian (CBRNE) Research and Technology Initiative (CRTI)
Scientific reviewer for American Association for the Advancement of Science