Withdrawals and the Return of Title IV Funds

 The SUNY Poly Financial Aid Office recognizes two types of student withdrawals.

Official Withdrawal
An official withdrawal occurs when a student submits a SUNY Poly Withdrawal Form to the Registrar's Office to request a withdrawal from all courses for which they are currently registered.

Unofficial Withdrawal
An unofficial withdrawal occurs when a student fails to provide an official notification of their intent to withdraw from the college. In most circumstances, a student stops attending classes. Please note that faculty/academic offices are required to advise the Financial Aid Office when a student stops attending classes. When this occurs, the Financial Aid Office contacts each faculty member whom the student was registered for a course with to determine a last day of attendance.

In both of these withdrawal situations, the Financial Aid Office is required to perform a Return of Title IV (Federal) Aid calculation. Based on the withdrawal date and any adjustments to the student’s bill for the semester, the Financial Aid Office may be required to return all or a portion of the federal financial aid received. 

After the Financial Aid Office has determined the types and amount of federal aid that must be returned, the student may owe a balance to the college. Should that happen, the student will receive an electronic bill from the Bursar’s Office requesting payment for the balance owed the college.

For more detailed information regarding Return to Title IV calculations, view the full policy:
Return to Title IV Full Policy (pdf)



Request More Information

Detailed information, brochures and forms can be mailed to you upon request.


Let's Start The Process     

Complete and submit your application to SUNY Polytechnic Institute.