Admission to SUNY Polytechnic Institute is competitive and based on an extensive review of academic qualifications, English proficiency, recommendations, and proof of financial support. Foreign transcripts and documents must be professionally evaluated and translated in English. Applicants must use a service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. We require a course-by-course evaluation with GPA calculated.
Utica Campus Admission Requirements
College of Arts + Sciences, College of Business, College of Engineering, College of Health Sciences
First-year/Freshman applicants to the Utica campus should generally have a high school average of 85% or higher by U.S. standards to be considered for admission into any undergraduate program offered at SUNY Poly’s Utica campus.
Albany Campus Admission Requirements
College of Nanoscale Science + Engineering (CNSE)
First-year/Freshman applicants to the Albany campus should generally have a high school average of 87.5% or higher by U.S. standards to be considered for admission into the nanoscale science or nanoscale engineering undergraduate programs. In addition, applicants must have completed the following high school courses with superior performance to be admitted into CNSE:
- Four years of high school mathematics through pre-calculus
- Four years of high school science to include one year of each of the following courses: biology, chemistry, earth science, and physics
- The standard high school curriculum in English, social science, humanities, and foreign language
English Language Proficiency Requirements for both Campuses
First-year/Freshman applicants to SUNY Poly must demonstrate English language proficiency by achieving the minimum score noted below from one of the following standardized exams:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Internet based score of 79
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Overall band score of 6.0
- PTE Academic (PTE): Overall score of 53
- Duolingo English Test (DET): Total score of 103
- iTEP: Overall score of 4.4
You are exempt from the English Proficiency requirement if:
- English is your native language: Australia, the Bahamas, Belize, the British Isles, England, New Zealand, English-speaking Canadian provinces, the Fiji Islands, Jamaica, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Ghana, Gambia, Liberia, the Virgin Islands, the West Indies, Trinidad, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Nigeria, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Switzerland, Holland, France, Germany, Sweden, and Norway
- You graduated from an accredited U.S. high school
Note: Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we have suspended the required submission of SAT/ACT scores for determining admission eligibility for the spring ’21, fall ’21 and spring ’22 admission cycles. We will conduct a holistic review of your application which will include: your academic history, the rigor of your high school curriculum, your extra-curricular activities, letters of recommendation, and your unique life experiences.