Every SITNet ID holder has a SFS home directory for saving files. A web directory can be created within the SFS home directory to store files that are accessible on the Internet. These files can be web pages, images, PowerPoint presentations, spreadsheets, Word documents and so forth.
Common uses of the SFS web directory include:
- Personal web pages
- Mailing large files as web links rather than e-mail attachments
- Making PowerPoint presentations downloadable from the web instead of distributing them as paper handouts
Creating a Public Web Directory
There are two ways that files can be transferred into one's web directory - (1) using an FTP program or (2) placing files in the user's mounted SITNet drive on an office computer.
1. SFTP Via FTP Program
Please use the following settings in an FTP program (ex: Filezilla, WinSCP):
Username: SITNet ID
Password: SITNet password
In FTP programs supporting URLs, the following will work: sftp://sftp.sunypoly.edu:22
- Connect to the server using the above settings in an FTP program.
- In the remote system (the window on the right), create a public_html folder if one does not already exist. Double click on this folder to open it.
- Select the file(s) you want to copy from your local computer (the window on the left) and drag and drop them into the public_html folder (window on the right).
- Files in public_html cannot contain spaces and must be renamed. Either omit the spaces or replace them with dashes or underscores. (e.g. important news.doc can be renamed to important-news.doc). Right click on the file to find the rename command.
- Exit the FTP program when done uploading files to the remote server.
2. Mounted SFS Drive on an Office Computer
- Open a file explorer window on your office computer.
- Navigate to My Computer or This PC
- Click on the drive labelled with your SITNet ID followed by (\\files.sunyit.edu\home\staff) or (\\files.sunyit.edu\home\faculty)
- Create a public_html folder in this drive if one does not already exist.
- Copy and paste the files that you'd like to display on the web into this folder.
- Files in public_html cannot contain spaces and must be renamed. Either omit the spaces or replace them with dashes or underscores. (e.g. important news.doc is renamed to important-news.doc).
Viewing Faculty/Staff/Student Websites From a Web Browser
Home page - http://people.sunypoly.edu/~sitnetid
Web pages named index.html that are located in the public_html folder will have the web address http://people.sunypoly.edu/~sitnetid. Any other files will follow the URL format http://people.sunypoly.edu/~sitnetid/file-name.
Example: If a user with the SITNet ID doej uploads a file to his public_html directory named news.html, the file would be accessible from a browser at the URL, http://people.sunypoly.edu/doej/news.html. If doej uploads a file to his public_html directory named index.html, the file would be accessible from a broswer at the URL, http://people.sunypoly.edu/~sitnetid.