The SUNY Polytechnic Institute IRB
The IRB reviews research involving human subjects conducted under the auspices of the SUNY Polytechnic Institute. It oversees research activities conducted by or involving individuals including faculty, staff and students of SUNY Polytechnic by considering risks and anticipated benefits to the subjects and others.
Members of the IRB are professionally competent to ascertain the acceptability of research on human subjects and include at least one member who is not affiliated with the SUNY Polytechnic Institute.
IRB meetings: Second Tuesday of each month during the academic year.
IRB Membership (pdf)
IRB Contact Information
If you have any questions about research on human subjects being conducted under the auspices of the SUNY Polytechnic Institute, please contact the IRB:
Janet Paluh, Chair of the IRB, 257 Fuller Road, Albany, NY 12203
Phone: 315-351-3IRB (315-351-3472)
Information for those who conduct research on human subjects
Submission of applications: email@example.com
The researcher can expect a response in the following time frames for a particular review cycle. A protocol may undergo multiple review cycles. These time frames depend on the type of review and are subject to availability of IRB members and convening of IRB meetings.
|Type of review||Typical time frame|
|Convened Board||8 weeks|
|Expedited Review||3 weeks|
Required training on research ethics and compliance: Available at Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) website. Contact the IRB for guidance on specific training course(s) to take and how to take a course.
Levels of IRB Review
- Convened/Full: This route is for a research proposal that presents more than minimal risk to human subjects. Sponsors of proposals are invited to attend meetings to provide an overview of the project, and to deal with any ambiguities that might exist. Also, IRB members can give the sponsor direct feedback on the proposal should there be a need to clarify or change any procedures.
- Expedited: For some types of innocuous or benign activities, the Chair may elect to consult with a subset of the Board for review.
- Exempt: If you feel that your research involving human subjects should be exempt from IRB review, please read the Exempt Research policy, and submit the completed Application for Exemption form.
SUNY Poly IRB Membership
- Darlene Del Prato, PhD, RN, Associate Professor of Nursing
- Daniel Jones, PhD, PE, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Marybeth McCall, MD
- Jerome Niyirora, PhD, Assistant Professor of Health Information Management
- Janet Paluh, PhD, Associate Professor of Nanobioscience
- Naren Peddibhotla, PhD, Associate Professor of Management Information Systems
- Jeanine Santelli, PhD, RN, Non-affiliated member
- Jim Staihar, PhD, JD, Assistant Professor of Ethics
- Rebecca Weldon, PhD, Assistant Professor of Cognitive Psychology
Additional Resources and Useful Links