The SUNY Polytechnic Institute IRB
The IRB reviews research involving human subjects conducted under the auspices of the SUNY Polytechnic Institute. It oversees research activities conducted by or involving individuals including faculty, staff and students of SUNY Polytechnic by considering risks and anticipated benefits to the subjects and others.
Members of the IRB are professionally competent to ascertain the acceptability of research on human subjects and include at least one member who is not affiliated with the SUNY Polytechnic Institute.
IRB meetings: Second Tuesday of each month.
IRB Membership (pdf)
IRB Contact Information
If you have any questions about research on human subjects being conducted under the auspices of the SUNY Polytechnic Institute, please contact the IRB:
Naren Peddibhotla, Chair of the IRB, 100 Seymour Road, Utica, NY 13502
Phone: 315-351-3IRB (315-351-3472)
Information for those who conduct research on human subjects
Submission of applications: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submission: last Monday of the month preceding the scheduled meeting.
Required training on research ethics and compliance: Available at Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) website. Contact the IRB for guidance on specific training course(s) to take and how to take a course.
Levels of IRB Review
- Convened/Full: This route is for a research proposal that presents more than minimal risk to human subjects. Sponsors of proposals are invited to attend meetings to provide an overview of the project, and to deal with any ambiguities that might exist. Also, IRB members can give the sponsor direct feedback on the proposal should there be a need to clarify or change any procedures.
- Expedited: For some types of innocuous or benign activities, the Chair may elect to consult with a subset of the Board for review.
- Exempt: If you feel that your research involving human subjects should be exempt from IRB review, please read the Exempt Research policy, and submit the completed Application for Exemption form.
SUNY Poly IRB Committee Membership 2020-2021
- Lisa Berardino, PhD, Associate Professor of Human Resource Management
- Benoit Boivin, PhD, Associate Professor of Nanobioscience
- Darlene Del Prato, PhD, RN, CNE, Associate Professor of Nursing
- Marybeth McCall, MD, Community Member
- Adam McLain, PhD, Assistant Professor of Biology
- Jerome Niyirora, PhD, Assistant Professor of Health Information Management
- Janet Paluh, PhD, Associate Professor of Nanobioscience
- Veronica Tichenor, PhD, Professor of Sociology
Additional Resources and Useful Links