The mission of Health Promotion Services is to provide students with the most relevant and current information that will prepare them to lead healthy lives while at college and long after leaving the learning environment.
Wellness is not simply the absence of disease or illness but is actively pursued with the goal of feeling in good health. It is realizing the benefits, risks and/or consequences associated with everyday decisions. A healthier lifestyle can be achieved through behavior modification and requires the motivation to improve the quality of your life and the lives of those around you.
- To engage students to gain control over and make behavior changes necessary to improve personal health and wellness.
- To place value on personal well-being as a necessity to learn, be productive and contribute to society in everyday life.
- To encourage a balance of mind, body and spirit.
- To create an environment that promotes and supports well-being, for the entire campus community.
- To provide current, reliable and accurate health information to the college community through print, email and verbal communications.
- To provide proper guidance and referrals when necessary and appropriate.
- To assess services provided and continually strive to make improvements where necessary.
- Free, confidential HIV testing and counseling (Oraquick, oral swab testing with 20 minute results);
- Alcohol/substance use/abuse prevention, education and referrals;
- Smoking cessation services including free NRT;
- Prevention focused programs with health guidance and referral;
- Flu vaccination clinics;
- Peer education training with internship opportunities;
- Current health-related educational literature/resources;
- Therapeutic massage and Relaxation Room featuring a heated shiatsu massage chair;
- Birth control barrier methods and safer sex supplies including a variety of condoms (male and female), dental dams, lubricants and sexual health education.
HIV Testing with Pre and Post-test Counseling
SUNY Polytechnic Institute offers free and confidential HIV testing using the Oraquick Advance Rapid HIV 1/2 test, providing results in just 20 minutes and includes pre and post-test counseling and education on the prevention of HIV.
SUNY Poly only offers confidential HIV testing. Confidential testing means that students are identified by name, test results are entered into the medical record and become a part of the permanent medical history and HIV positive results are reported to the State Health Department.
Tobacco Cessation Services
Quitting tobacco can be challenging. The Wellness Center is here to help you quit for good!
- Individualized appointments with a Tobacco Cessation Specialist
- FREE Nicotine Replacement products available (patch and gum)
- Cessation education and support based on your needs
- Group sessions are available upon request
To schedule an appointment for Health Promotion services or for more information please call The Wellness Center at 315-792-7172 or email Stacey.Genther@sunypoly.edu. All students pay a health fee that entitles them to the full complement of Health Promotion services offered by the Wellness Center.